Level 1 Referees Course
Date: 17-18 January 2015
No. of participants: 16
Location: OCBC Aquatic Center
Level 1 Referees Course
Date: 17-18 October 2015
No. of participants: 26
Location: Singapore Sports Institute, Singapore Sports Hub
What is Flippa Ball?
Flippa Ball is a modified junior game of water polo suitable for both boys and girls of all age group.
Played in pools between 0.8m to 1.2m, the pools are deep enough to swim around yet shallow enough to stand.
The main modification of Flippa Ball is that you are able to catch the ball with two hands but to pass/shoot with one hand only.
Flippa Ball is a non-contact game that is fast paced without the knocks, which ever team scores the most goals win!
Basic rules of Flippa Ball
• Two teams of equal number of players, minimum 6 field players and 1 goalkeeper each.
• The game consists of four quarters of five minutes duration with three minutes in between each quarter.
• Game begins with the referee starting the ball in the middle of the pool.
• To start the game, players line up along the goal line.
• At a signal from the referee, one player wades or swims towards the center where the referee has thrown the ball and passes the ball backwards to team-mates.
• The team then moves the ball towards the opponent's goal with the aim of scoring a goal.
• All players can catch the ball with both hands but pass/shoot with only one hand.
• Player can walk, run or swim to position without the possession of the ball. In possession, the player can only swim with the ball.
• No tackling, blocking or pulling of an opponent.
• Players are not allowed to swim on or over opponent's leg. The ball must remain above the surface of the water at all times.
• Breaking of the rules will result in a free throw.
• The referee will signal the direction of attack of the team which the free throw is awarded and taken from the spot where the foul occurred.
• A player cannot shoot directly at the goal from a free throw.
• Goal is scored when the whole ball crossed the goal line.
• Corner throw is given when the ball goes out of the goal line and last touched by defender.
• Tackling a player shall be exclusion from the game until the next goal is scored. - Bad behavior or language is the exclusion for the remainder of the game with a substitute.
• Aggression is exclusion from the game for the remainder of the game with a substitute.
• Coaches and officials will implement all rules with discretion and judgment, encouraging a free-flowing and continuous game, but discourage unsportsmanlike behavior or deliberate body contact.
Keen to learn more about Flippa Ball and start your own team?
Singapore Water Polo is conducting regular "Train-the-trainer" courses to equip would-be coaches to start their own Flippa Ball teams. NROC registered swim coaches may enroll (can be used as CCE hours).
Kindly contact our Sports Manager, Ms Nur Zahidah at email@example.com for more details